- My version is coffee with grass-fed butter and coconut oil and blended. I like it because I enjoy just a cup of coffee first thing in the morning but find coffee alone gives me a blood sugar spike (then later a crash). Adding good fat make it delicious but more importantly it prevents the huge spike and crash from happening. I find this makes a big difference in my energy throughout the day and my cravings for the entire day.
- Studies are showing that having good quality fat in your diet is of utmost importance. It is needed for good brain health. The low-fat diet era resulted in a population of foggy-headed people (including myself).
- At first I wondered if adding butter and coconut oil to my coffee would make me gain weight but I noticed that I actually dropped a few pounds when I started having this first thing in the morning.
- Kale, celery, cucumber, frozen banana, hemp and chia seeds, ground flax seeds, coconut milk, water.
- Tip: Make this up in the evening so it is ready to go when you are hungry in the morning, and so you aren't tempted with things like toast or cereal.
Lunch: Bison Roast (left-over from night before) and salad with home-made dressing
- Simple dressing: about 1 part olive oil to 1 part apple cider vinegar (or vinegar of your choice), salt and pepper. This is my quick go to recipe but you can customize it by adding a dash of garlic powder, mustard powder or whatever spices you like.
- Tip: wash and chop all or most of your veggies right after you do your grocery shopping. Do up a big salad at this time so you have it ready to go for the next few days...or even week.
Snack: Sweet Grain Free Sweet Potato Muffin with coffee
- Tip: make a double or triple batch and freeze so you have a healthy snack ready to go.
- I have a sweet tooth so I love snacks like this but sometimes struggle with moderation. I try to only keep a couple thawed in the fridge at a time so I don't end up eating the whole batch in one or two days.
- Tip: make a huge batch and freeze individual portions (either in a jar or ziplock bag) for a quick and easy lunch or supper.
- recipes calls for milk. I use almond milk instead.
Snack: Home-made "Holy Crap" cereal with almond milk
- I make a big batch about every two weeks and throw in buckwheat groats, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon and raisins (or any dried fruit). I used to be addicted to eating cheerios as an evening snack so this is my healthy replacement.
Gillian - I hope this helps! :)