Just in case kale is new to you. Here are a few points on why it is such a "superfood".
- 1 cup cashew nuts (it's best to soak for 10 min and to an hour, then drain and rinse)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme if you have it on hand – adds a nice flavour, but not necessary
- water to get the right consistency – thick, but creamy – about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 bunches of kale
- Toss all the ingredients (except kale) into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add water until you get the consistency of a cheese sauce.
- tear the leaves off of the stems, make sure not to include the spine!
- wash the kale and dry
- pour the “Cheese” Sauce over the kale until fully coated. Massage into kale leaves.
- OVEN: place on a baking tray and bake at 50° C (130° F) for about 20 minutes – flipping over half way through.
- DEHYDRATOR: place on the rack and set to dry at 50° C (130° F) for about 10-12 hours or overnight.
*Note - the cheese sauce is delicious in many recipes. I like it drizzled over roasted cauliflower or as a veggie dip.
Let me know what you think of it!