I've gotten into the habit of making bone broth whenever I roast up a chicken, then doing up a huge pot of chicken soup. I will now do the same whenever I do up a ham. This recipe is so delicious and comforting! And it turns one meal into two...or five, if you add tons of vegetables. I save some leftover soup for the next day and put the rest in single serve containers to freeze for a quick lunch or supper when I need that convenience.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutesServings: 6 (2 cup servings)A lighter, creamy and tasty (with gluten free and dairy free options) ham and potato chowder that is pure comfort in a bowl!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten free)
- 2 cups ham broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (any type - I use almond milk)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced small and optionally peeled
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 cup peas or corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the broth, deglazing the pan as you go, add the milk and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the ham and corn or peas, cook until heated and season with salt and pepper.
What's your favourite soup recipe? Let me know here or join the discussion on Facebook.
Enjoy the journey,