With the summer heat and the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables, I think July is a great month to lighten up and fuel up with this smoothie challenge.
All you need is a good blender. Don't have one? A magic bullet or nutri-bullet works well. Your smoothie should be a smooth consistency. If not, it might be worth it to pick up a new blender. After 30 days you will be hooked and you will get a lot of use out of that blender.
If you are fairly new to veggie packed smoothies, you will definetly notice a change. It may cause some subtle detoxification to occur. Because it is blended, you will be able to absorb more nutrients and you will be more hydrated. If you are starting your day with a nutrition green smoothie that contains a good source of protein and fat you will also likely notice less cravings throughout the day.
- Adding avocado to your smoothie will add a nice creaminess to it. It's also an excellent source of good quality fat to keep you going and to keep the cravings down during the day.
- You can start with more fruit than greens, but as your taste buds adjust, add more vegetables than fruit. Your body will thank you!
- Smoothies taste best fresh but if I have a busy morning ahead of me, I make it the night before. Put it in a mason jar and fill right to the top so no air is in the jar (less oxidization). It is ready to go when you wake up.
- Sip slowly and "chew" it a bit. Even though it is liquid it is good to get into the habit of sort of chewing it. This will create more digestive enzymes so more nutrients are absorbed.
- Don't worry about measuring. Nothing needs to be exact.
- Recipes are nice for new ideas but keep it easy and just use what you have. Just be sure to include a protein and fat source.
- Plain water is the best liquid to use. Your smoothie will still be flavourful.
- Mix it up! Try out lots of different fruits and vegetables.
- Don't over do it on raw spinach. It is high in oxalic acid. If you consume a lot of it every day that can be a problem. Mix it up some days with kale, romaine, cucumber, celery, etc.
- I think the best time of day for a green smoothie is first thing in the morning but it's also nice as an afternoon snack when you are in an energy slump.
- Get a friend or your husband on board with this challenge.
- Go to farmer's markets (or someone's garden) for the freshest produce. Go to U-pick fruit farms.
Why Green Smoothies?
- Easy to digest. They give your digestive system a bit of a break and your body can put that energy into other things.
- Easy and tasty way to get a lot of fresh vegetables into your day without really even realizing it.
- Absorb more nutrients. Party because you are consuming more nutrients but also because the blending sort of pre-digests it for you allowing the body to absorb more.
- Eating raw. Which means more nutrients and digestive enzymes are in tact.
- Big potential in helping to lose weight, increase energy and get that glow in your skin!