This week, make a huge salad to have on hand in the fridge (can last up to about 4 days). I like to do romaine as the base then add things like celery, cucumber, bell peppers and green onion...sometimes finely chopped kale. I also top with raw or lightly toasted nuts or seeds and avocado, and tomato (but just add this to your salad you are eating now so your base salad stay fresh longer. *Bonus points if you make your own dressing. I do 2 parts olive oil, 1 part vinegar (balsalmic, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar), bit of maple syrup, dash of garlic powder, salt and pepper). Add all ingredients to a jar and shake. Keeps at room temp for the week. Have this salad just before supper (I think it tastes better before supper rather than with supper), and/or for lunch (just top with a protein - hard boiled egg, chicken, salmon...) or anytime you are hungry.
Pizza Night with starter salad. *eat your salad before your pizza is ready...you'll enjoy it more.* I have tried many kinds of gluten free pizza crust recipes. This time I will try this buckwheat one. Other options are this cauliflower pizza crust (if you aren't dairy free), this almond flour one, or simply pita bread as a crust (my kids love this!). Bonus points if you load it up with veggies! Topping ideas: chopped kale or spinach, peppers, tomato, black olives, onion, mushrooms, chicken, sausage, hamburger. If you are dairy free, try Daiya shredded "cheese", a few dollops of veganaise once cooked, or cheesy cashew sauce....or omit "cheese" altogether. Avoid luncheon meats. To make it easier, when you cook chicken, sausage, beef...make a bit extra to put in a freezer bag. It makes for a quick pizza topping.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry with rice (optional). Use this recipe or simply stir fry beef, then fry broccoli in a bit of coconut oil, add soy sauce (or gluten free tamari) and enjoy. Top with peanuts or lightly toasted sunflower seeds if you'd like.
Soup of the Week
so good and hearty, it can eaten as supper
*for dairy free replace milk with almond milk
Smoothie of the Week
- 1/2 avocado
- A handful of fresh mint leaves (to taste … you can always toss is a couple more to add more flavor after you blend) *you can omit and just use mint essential oil or extract.
- A handful of fresh spinach (maybe ~1 cup of loosely packed leaves)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/3 cup of Coconut Milk. We use the full fat culinary milk (which makes the shake super creamy), but if you’d prefer something a bit lighter you can use regular coconut milk (just use 1 full cup, and skip the water below).
- 2/3 cup of water.
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (optional)
- Dark chocolate shavings for the top (optional)
- Peppermint Essential Oil (optional) … 1-2 drops is plenty to give your shake a minty boost!