I completed my big project and decided I needed to pause and make some changes. The 7 day cleanse got me away from coffee for a bit, and since I like to have something sweet with my coffee, it also helped with that habit. I formed some new habits, like a warm, hearty pureed soup for lunch each day, a green smoothie each day, tea in place of coffee, healthy snacks, more variety in dinner in the form of nourishing, vegan meals and making relaxing baths and walks more of a priority.
So now that it is day 7, I have been thinking about what healthy habits I would like to continue with going forward:
- afternoon tea instead of coffee (reduce my caffeine intake). I'm not a huge tea fan but I did find something I like. Dandelion tea with almond milk (or creamy coconut milk), vanilla, and cinnamon.
- make a big batch of soup once a week. I have a new arsenal of pureed soup recipes for this. Two of my favourites are Sweet Potato and Broccoli soup and Apple Butternut Soup.
- Meatless Monday (or any day) - one day a week supper will be vegan. I also discovered many new vegan dinner ideas in this cleanse.
- sip on a nutrient dense green smoothie every morning.
- healthy snacks - apple and pb is a favourite or these seed crackers are another.
And a few non-food related things:
- clear out clutter - I'm motivated right now to organize and simplify. I also know this is big for my energy and happiness.
- gratitude journal - I need to get back to enjoying our average, everyday moments more and break free from the complaining about the little things (whether that be verbally or just in my head). I've done this in the past and it really can change your go-to thinking from one of "this is so hard" to one of just enjoying all the little things in your day.
- relaxation as a higher priority with things like walks with a good podcast and epsom salt baths.
This was my first cleanse and even though it wasn't very intense, it was a perfect way to slow down, break free from some unhealthy habits and form some new healthy ones. I plan to do a cleanse every spring and fall.