1/2 lb uncooked ground beef (or Italian sausage)
2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups baby spinach
1 1/4 cups Basic Nut Cheese, recipe follows
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1/2 tbsp dry)
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tbsp dry)
Brown Rice Lasagne Noodles or 10 Crepes , cut into 2 inch wide strips, scraps reserved.
1 cup raw blanched almonds, raw cashews or raw macadamia nuts
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus a pinch for soaking
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Brown beef or sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through. Combine beef or sausage with the Marinara Sauce in a bowl.
- Place the spinach in the same skillet you cooked beef in and sauté over medium heat until wilted, about 5 mins.
- Place the Nut Cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil in a bowl and mix.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Layer noodles or crepe strips on top of it, overlapping them ever so slightly so the fillings don't seep through the cracks. If there are gaps around the edges of the dish, fill them in with the reserved Crepe scraps (if using).
- Next, gently spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the surface. Sprinkle ½ of the spinach over it, then top with 1/3 of the meat sauce.
- Repeat in this order: Noodles, cheese, spinach and meat sauce. Finish by sprinkling the remaining ¼ cup of nut cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 mins, until the corners are bubbling. Let sit for 10- 15 mins before serving.
- Place the nuts in a large bowl and fill with filtered water and a pinch of salt. Cover and soak the almonds for 24 hours, cashews or macadamia nuts for 6.
- Drain the nuts and rinse thoroughly, until the water runs clear.
- Place the nuts in a food processor or high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth and the mixture resembles ricotta cheese. Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.