Why? 1. It hydrates your cells (you will be more energized and alert). 2. Helps detox the body (which leads to clearer skin). 3. Purifies the colon allowing for proper absorption of nutrients.
My workouts now consist of going for a good walk with Ashton. I try to take the stroller and push her for most of it so I can get a good walk in. We make a stop at the playground and I try to do a bit of a workout while we are there. It usually looks something like the picture above (at least I hope it looks like that). I love getting a playground workout in during the summer months, because (1) you are there anyways (2) it's that much harder getting motivated to go to the basement to workout when it is so nice out. I just need to get more consistent with this, so for May it will be a priority.
- Throw a cube of frozen spinach in your soup while you are cooking it or warming it up. I find I can't really even notice it in there. You can now find frozen spinach cubes from Arctic Gardens in most grocery stores. If your store doesn't have it ask the manager to order it.
- Sauté fresh greens in coconut oil or butter for breakfast. Could go along with an egg (eat the yolk too) and maybe bacon or fried plantain.
- Add it to your morning smoothie. Don't go too crazy with it and be sure to switch up your greens occasionally Most contain some oxalic acid when raw. In moderation is fine but too much is not good.
- Juice it. Kale, spinach, bok choy, romaine lettuce....most greens will work. Add things like cucumber, celery, ginger root, lemon, apple, etc.
- Big salad of romain, kale, spinach, whatever. Just remember to not overdo the raw greens like I mentioned earlier (you can't overdo romaine though).
- Kale Chips
- Powdered greens. Nice option for when you are busy. Amazing Grass or Vega One (which also is a great source of protein) are my favourites.
Sounds simple but I often get stuck in a rut of doing the same things each day ... or spending too much time on Pinterest while home with Ashton. I recently saw an article about a mom that did a bucket list for her and her daughter to be done by the time she turned 5. I want to do a summer 2015 version of this. Some ideas I have so far are include her in planting/maintaining/harvesting the garden, go to the zoo, picnic at the park, movie at the theatre. I will do a full post soon.